Thursday, February 20, 2020

14. Life after marriage

http://xanthoulabertwrigley.blogspot.com


Life After Marriage
On their return, Xanthoula took up her new duties as wife, housekeeper of the Wrigley home and caretaker of two elderly men: her father-in-law, seventy-two years old and her brother-in-law George, fifty-two.  Tom Wrigley hadn’t had an easy life and, at his age, he didn’t enjoy good health.  He had fought in two wars and had worked hard in factories for most of his life.  Even when Xanthoula came he still worked as a part-time watchman in a factory in Yarraville.  Although only fifty-two years old, George had serious health problems and had already retired from working in the railway depot.   He was suffering from respiratory difficulties having been gassed as a young soldier in WWI, and he had had a stroke which nearly left him paralyzed before Xanthoula arrived.  Fortunately he had recovered well enough to walk -- with a slight limp, but he was able to walk to the shops and take care of quite a few things in daily life.  He was also partially deaf, probably the result of working for many years in a noisy environment at the railways.  But he was a truly gentle soul, had never married, and indeed was very helpful to Xanthoula in her first years in Yarraville.  He would go shopping with her and do whatever he could around the house.  After 1952, when the first child arrived, George was often seen in the neighborhood pushing the baby’s pram, and later taking the little boy for a walk.  He spent a lot of time with little John, freeing Xanthoula to do her work around the house.  John learned to walk holding Uncle George’s finger.  A deep bond was formed between them and, many years later, it was John who took care of him for quite a while when Xanthoula and Bert took a trip to Greece.

George lived with Xanthoula and Bert until I arrived from Greece in April 1955.  Some months before I arrived, Bert had helped him find and buy a nice block of land up in the hills of Melbourne.  A modest home was built for him surrounded by beautiful nature and lots of birds.  He loved living up there and it was certainly a much healthier environment for him than that of Yarraville -- an old suburb with many factories and not the cleanest air in Melbourne.  George lived in Upwey for at least fifteen years.  He became known and was loved by all the children in the neighborhood.  Young mothers would leave their children with him when they went shopping, and his back yard was often full of children playing. I remember going to visit him with Xanthoula and Bert, and it was like a day’s excursion to the country taking the train up there and back.  Compared to Yarraville it was the country. Xanthoula prepared enough food to take with us for lunch and to leave some for George.  He was quite capable of cooking and even feeding a few children from around the neighborhood but always welcomed something that Xanthoula had made.

Soon after the wedding, Bert decided to join the Victoria Police Force.  He applied, was accepted and took the training required.  Not that he needed that much training, at least not on the practical side of the job.  But the duties of a city policeman required him to know rules and regulations which he didn’t need to know in the army or in his fighting with the Greek guerillas, or in his commando special training which he took before he went to Borneo.  The Victoria Police Force must have been happy to welcome a veteran with experience, especially as he turned out to be very good at all the other subjects they had to take as part of the police force training.  Xanthoula remembers young recruits coming to the house to get help from him in English, and he sat working with them for hours. After a break of more than four years in the army and overseas, Bert had gone back to reading again any time he wasn’t working or doing jobs around the house.  He had an excellent command of the English language, especially compared to young people who were coming out of high school.  He was about 32 years old when he went through the police force training, much older than most other recruits, but he sailed through everything.  Xanthoula remembers going with pride to his graduation ceremony holding John in her arms.  For the graduation ball, one of Bert’s sisters came to baby sit.

In 1954, after I had finished high school, I still wanted to go and be with Xanthoula.  For her part, Xanthoula hadn’t forgotten that she had promised to send for me.  The sponsorship papers were submitted and the application was approved by the Australian government.  I could leave as a legal immigrant to join my sister in Melbourne.  In the meantime, life in Greece had somewhat improved, at least there were no longer military trials and executions, but prospects for young people were few and our family was still ‘stigmatized’ by the execution of our father and the continued branding of our family as leftist if not communist.  The ‘Security’ was still making decisions about people’s lives, and you couldn’t get a job or leave the country unless you were able to obtain a “certificate of social beliefs”.  It was a piece of paper issued by the Security certifying that you were not of the leftist persuasion.  This is where my papers got stuck, as the Australian Immigration Department required a certificate from the police that I had no criminal record.  And indeed at barely eighteen years old I had no criminal record, but the Security interpreted that notion somewhat differently.

Almost a year went by and the desired piece of paper hadn’t come.  I finally decided to do what Eleni had done at the time of her second arrest: I presented myself to the chief of the local Security Office in Katerini, the town where I was born, and I demanded an explanation why my application for this piece of paper was not being approved. I remember a long and pale face with an ironic smile saying that the reason was because I belonged to a family well-known for its leftist beliefs.  He said that my father had been labeled as a communist and was executed, and that my eldest sister had been tried by a military court.  I remember feeling the anger welling up in me, especially when he mentioned my father.  I reminded him that my father had been executed by the enemy who had invaded Greece, that he was a hero and I was proud of what he stood for.  I went on saying that he was repeating the same old stuff we had heard before, and that my sister was, since 1952, a respected teacher in his community, probably teaching his own children in high school.  I pointed out that she had been acquitted in the trial and that, if the ‘higher-ups’ had thought she was worthy of their trust, since they allowed her to teach, then he should show the same trust towards me and allow me to leave.  Surely, I couldn’t be more dangerous than she was!  And what were they afraid of?  That I would contaminate Australian society with liberal ideas?  Australia was liberal enough, and Thank God, not a police state like Greece. 

I was eighteen years-old and I had ‘lost’ it, as they say. I was so angry, I stood up and left without waiting for a response.  Back at my sister Eleni’s place, I broke down thinking that I had ruined my chances of ever leaving the country.  Strangely enough, I was called the very next day to go and collect the clearance certificate!  I marched in, picked it up and left without thanking them.

Mother looked very sad but quite resigned this time.  In my excitement, I didn’t want to dwell on her sadness, but for many years to follow I suffered from guilt feelings that I too had left her.  My passage was booked, first class cabin (!) on the Arcadia, which I was to board neither in Italy nor in the Greek port of Piraeus but at the very southern tip of the Peloponnese, in the historically famous Navarino Bay.  As it turned out it was the ship that literally picked me up! The rendezvous was for late March 1955.  My brother Stefanos accompanied me all the way from Katerini, crossing the whole country from north to south, first by train to Athens, then by bus to the town of Kalamata.  The trip took almost three days.  There wasn’t a port where a 30,000-ton ship could dock in Kalamata.  So on a very early misty morning, a small fishing boat with an outboard motor took me, with my brother beside me holding my hand, quite a way into Navarino Bay to where the big ocean liner had anchored waiting for me.  I had to climb up on a special ladder that was lowered, and my small suitcase was carried up by a cabin boy dressed in sparkling white clothes, black bow tie and white gloves.  I looked down as the little boat was leaving with my brother in it and I felt like a forlorn child.  My heart felt like jumping out of my body to go back with him...   I wonder now why I never asked him later how he felt back then.

I was the only passenger the “Arcadia” picked up from Greece on its maiden voyage, probably because I was travelling first class.  I couldn’t believe that Xanthoula and Bert had actually booked a first-class passage for me!  I was shy even to look at the well-dressed British passengers going down to the luxurious dining-room.  Many of the women wore long gowns and men wore black suits for dinner.  Did I feel that I didn’t belong there?  You can guess the answer.  Fortunately, one passenger, an Irish priest, must have sensed how I felt and made a point of coming to speak to me.  He spoke some French and we spent many hours playing scrabble with French words.  And no, I wasn’t chosen ‘Miss Arcadia’.  So far as I remember, there was no such event on that ship.  It was probably a tradition only on the Greek ships.

This isn’t the place to continue with my own experiences and feelings during that voyage, but I wanted to record the extraordinary fact that a poor immigrant girl was travelling first class on the maiden voyage of a new ocean liner full of people who seemed to be on a luxury cruise to Australia.  If there were other immigrants travelling, they were in Economy Class, and there was no communication between the two.  And although it isn’t my story, I also want to write about some of the things that Bert and Xanthoula did for me, which show their generosity and their caring.  Making their portrait as complete as possible is the main aim and some of these details seem relevant to me.

As both of them admitted to me more than once in later years, they were both concerned when they came to pick me up from the ship which docked on the same wharf as did the ‘Cyrenia’ five years earlier.  They said that I looked so thin and so lost, with long hair tied back and flat shoes. They wondered how they could help me to become more like a ‘normal’ young girl.  Xanthoula set to work immediately.  She took me to have my hair cut, bought me new dresses, a new light blue coat, shiny black leather shoes with medium heels to get me used to them, and a bag to match.   They also made sure I ate as much as possible.  Within a month or so, I had put on some weight, wore lipstick -- which felt very strange to begin with and made me self-conscious --, and learned to walk on higher heels.  Xanthoula remembers that I made it clear I wanted to learn English as quickly as possible, so we agreed to speak English at home between us.  She started teaching me the daily things.  We went food shopping together, making every occasion, every outing a lesson.  Bert gave me a red pocket-book size Greek-English dictionary, which Xanthoula still has in her desk.  I carried it with me all the time and looked up every word I came across.  I also gave myself the task of learning twenty new words a day, and continued testing myself on them until I had them memorized.  Xanthoula would take me to the local cinema every now and then to see films so that I could get used to listening to English. 
 
Many immigrants lived in Yarraville because of the proximity to the factories and the possibility of jobs.  Bert found out that the local elementary school offered free English lessons at night for immigrants and Xanthoula took me to meet the local teacher.  He was a nice gentleman, very patient, trying to teach a fairly large group of people who on the whole had little education in their own language and who came in tired from a day’s work. I attended the night classes regularly but after a while there was little I could learn as this was a class for beginners aiming to teach the basics.  Every time new people joined the class the teacher would start from the beginning.  I gave him to understand that I needed to move forward a little faster, as I planned to go to the University.  He looked at me with a bit of a smile, probably thinking that this was too ambitious for an immigrant girl.  Anyway, I left the class and continued to study on my own, with books from home and my dictionary.  It was then that I fully realized the value of having been taught strict rules by the French nuns.  They had for years insisted on grammar, verbs, and the structure of sentences.  All of that helped me to learn English faster than most immigrants and without attending any other special classes.   Within a year I managed to enroll at the University.  The details of that experience are part of my story…  But I could add here that five years later, when I received my degree from Melbourne University, Xanthoula and I went to visit the local school teacher.  I wanted my sister to be proud of me and indeed she was.  The teacher was surprised but pleased and congratulated me for my perseverance.  I remember it felt good to be able to prove to him that immigrants could get an education in Australia if they really wanted to.

During those early years both Xanthoula and Bert gave me a lot of encouragement and moral support in my plans to study at the University.  But their finances were very limited with just one person working and a second child on the way. ‘Grandpa’ Wrigley was also still living with them.  They had already spent a substantial sum for my trip and I found out later that they had actually borrowed most of it from Bert’s brother Eric.  They were now slowly paying it off.  When I asked them why on earth they had paid for a first class cabin for me, they said that, given the conditions under which I grew up, they wanted me to have a really nice trip over.   They had also repainted and refurnished Uncle George’s room which became mine, and also paid the fees for me to attend a technical college in the neighborhood where I learned to type.  Now I had to earn some money in order to pay for University fees, train and tram fares, books, etc.  My English was improving fast, and with the typing skills I had acquired I was ready to enter the work force at the end of my fifth month in Melbourne. 

In order for me not to have a long commute, Bert had the idea of speaking to the owners of a factory just across the street from the house.  It was called Australian Porcelain Insulator Company and manufactured porcelain insulators for electricity.  It was a family-run business and the owners knew Bert and the Wrigley family from across the street.  Bert explained that I was still fresh from Greece and that my English wasn’t perfect, but he could vouch for me as a serious young lady.  I went across for them to meet me and I was immediately hired as a kind of secretary-typist who also answered the phones in the general office.  I was very lucky as the owner, Mr. John Crowe, had studied ancient Greek at Melbourne University and treated me with great courtesy and gentleness.  He was impressed that I could speak French.  He brought me a very large Greek-English English-Greek dictionary, which I used at all times, and my English kept improving by the day. The manager, Mr. Russell, was also a nice gentleman.  He made an effort to speak slowly and clearly when he was dictating a letter, and joked about how our accents were similar -- he was from Scotland and I remember that we both rolled our Rs.  Mr. Crowe’s two sons, Peter and Malcolm, treated me kindly and were very helpful when I started taking night courses at the University.  They took turns in making a detour going home to take me there so that I wouldn’t be late for class.  Without their help I wouldn’t have made it.  There simply wasn’t enough time after work to catch the train into the city, and then take the tram to Melbourne University.  So I had great support from everyone in what they all considered a noble effort on my part to educate myself.

Classes were twice a week during the first year, and on those nights, when I came home late, my dinner would be waiting for me on a plate kept warm, and Xanthoula was always up to ask me how things were going.  There is no way I could have done what I did without the understanding and the support from Xanthoula and Bert, and the least I can do is to acknowledge it here.  Through these actions they both showed their generous and caring nature.  These early studies, for which they both stood by me, laid the foundations for my academic career in the USA many years later.

In 1956, a year after I arrived, a second boy was born to Xanthoula, Michael.   Grandfather was declining by now and he needed more attention and caretaking.  He had been a smoker all his life, and I could hear him cough for a long time in the early mornings.  After all the glamor of the arrival and the wedding, Xanthoula had to settle into an old house, though improved with some renovations.  For the first five years, she took care of two older men who needed their rooms cleaned, their washing done and their meals cooked.  One would expect that, under such circumstances, a young girl could have become somewhat depressed and unhappy.  At least I think I would have... I remember thinking quite a few times that this wasn’t the best environment for a young and beautiful bride.  It was fine that Bert wasn’t well off, she knew all about that kind of hardship and trying to make ends meet.  The last ten years in Greece had trained her well for that.  But to be only twenty-four years old, newly married, living with a man she was still getting to know, having to get used to new places, new customs, a different language, not having any relatives or friends around, and also having to share her life with two old men in ill health and with handicaps -- all that seemed, and still seems, very difficult to me.  It requires great inner resources and much generosity and courage.  I wonder how many young girls would have been able to accept such a situation and also be happy in it.  In addition to what she had gone through during the last ten years of her life in Greece, her spirit during these hardships is what makes Xanthoula so special, so heroic in my mind.  She made the most of a difficult situation: she rolled up her sleeves, spruced up the house, sewed new curtains, mended clothes, tidied up cupboards full of canned foods, and brought warmth, beauty and love into the house.  She quickly made friends with the neighbors, especially with a young couple next door, and integrated herself in Bert’s family and in her new environment.

I asked her to remember how she had felt then, having to live with and take care of two old men, and if she regretted at any time having stayed.  I was surprised with what she had to say:  ‘It seemed natural to me.  They were family, that was all there was to it.  It was their home and I had accepted to come into it. I knew the situation before I married Bert.  Someone had to take care of them, so why not me?  And everyone was so nice and appreciative, I was really happy to do it.’  

Before I arrived in Melbourne at the age of eighteen, I suppose that I had an idealized vision of how my sister lived in Australia.  I loved all the newspaper photos and the wedding photos that Xanthoula had sent us.  My sister was a star!  Later, when I saw photos of the outside of their simple weatherboard house, it was a bit of a surprise. I was only eighteen years old when I arrived and there were many things for which I wasn’t prepared.  For example, although I had lived with my own grandfather for many years, I wasn’t quite prepared to be with an old man like ‘Grandpa’ Wrigley.  To begin with, I couldn’t communicate with him at all as I had no English.  And our own grandfather was so different from him! I grew up with a robust non-smoking and non-drinking grandfather who was full of life and could do everything.    Grandpa Wrigley was thin and weak, coughed all the time, smoked cigarettes which he rolled himself, and he liked to have a lot of rum in his tea.  Both smells of tobacco and alcohol were unpleasant to me, but during the four or so years I lived in Yarraville with them, I never heard Xanthoula make a comment, lose patience or complain about it.  She gave the old man haircuts, kept his room and his clothes clean and, having learned that he liked blood sausage and tripe, she would buy those things to cook especially for him.  I can understand why he loved Xanthoula and preferred to live with her rather than with his own daughters!  In 1959, he declined even further and, although he never became bedridden, Xanthoula had to ultimately wash him and help him get dressed.  One morning he asked her to prepare him and then quietly died in her arms.  Those four years of shared life with my sister in a modest home in a working class neighborhood of Melbourne, witnessing daily her warm and generous nature and her untiring caring for everyone, have given me a respect and an admiration for her that I will carry towards her all my life.

In the meantime, with the two children growing, Bert wanted to give them a better quality of life, with more nature and cleaner air.  He and his brother Eric had bought two adjacent blocks of land in an outer suburb of Melbourne. Vermont still had tall trees, birds and even some wild life like rabbits, lizards, etc.  Eric had already built a house there but it wasn’t convenient for him to live that far away because of his work.  So the house was empty, not quite finished but inhabitable. After ‘Grandpa’ died,  Bert and Xanthoula decided to move out there, live in brother Eric’s house and start building their own next door.  By then, I had a scholarship that allowed me to study full-time and work only part-time as an interpreter in the courts.  I said goodbye to the good people of the Australian Porcelain Insulator Company and moved out to Vermont with Bert, Xanthoula, John and Michael.  I loved living out there, waking up with the noise of the kookaburras and the bell birds, stepping outside both front and back doors and smelling the scent of eucalyptus trees.  I organized my classes and commuted to the University by train and tram.  It was a long walk up to Heatherdale station but I was happy to do it with nature all around. This lasted a year.  For the senior year of my studies, I was awarded a residential scholarship by the Women’s College on campus and I moved there for the academic year 1960-1961.  Living on campus, being able to just walk to the library and my classes, come back for ready meals at the College, and participate in that life with other fellow students was a truly wonderful and memorable experience for me.  And I could still go and spend the weekends with Xanthoula, Bert and the boys.  

In 1961, exactly ten years after Xanthoula sailed on the ‘Cyrenia’ to come to Australia, and with two little boys, John eight years old and Michael not quite five, Bert felt that it was time for her to go back and see her family in Greece, and for the boys to have an experience of their Greek roots.  He couldn’t go himself, but Xanthoula could go with the two boys and stay as long as she liked.  Money for the tickets was gathered by a common effort through our mother, our brother Stefanos and Eleni, and Bert who had saved enough for some spending money.  I had graduated and had been awarded a French government scholarship to continue my studies in Paris.  I was preparing to sail back to Europe myself, so it was great!  Xanthoula, the boys and I would travel together on the Greek boat ‘Patris’ and would have a full family reunion during the summer of 1961 before I was to start my studies in Paris in September.  Finally though, we didn’t travel on the same boat.  Through the University, I was offered a free passage on a large liner, the ‘Southern Cross’, and left about a month earlier than Xanthoula.  We met later in the summer in Greece.  The trip being long and costly, it was decided that Xanthoula and the boys would stay as long as possible in Greece.  So that John wouldn’t miss a school year, it was arranged for lessons to be sent by mail from his school.  Michael was not at school age yet, but our brother arranged for both boys to attend a private Greek school close to the house.  In that way they would interact with Greek children and learn the language. 

The decision was made, the passages were booked and Bert was to live by himself for a whole year allowing Xanthoula to have this time with her family and old friends in Greece.  It wasn’t a small sacrifice on his part, a whole year of living alone, but he insisted that he was happy and that he was quite capable of taking care of himself.  Generosity was the essence of Bert’s character, never putting himself first.  He enjoyed Xanthoula’s happiness at being reunited with her family in Greece and pleased that her family could see how happy and well-looked after she and the boys were.  It took twelve more years before he could make it to Greece himself with leave from his work, going alone in his turn while Xanthoula stayed home.  On that occasion he was gone for three months.  They went to Greece together only once, in May 1981, when my husband and I spent a month with them travelling through the country.  It was a very special time for us all.

During the ten years while Xanthoula was away (1951-1961), the situation for the family in Greece had improved quite a lot, especially after I left in 1955.   Mother and grandfather stayed with Eleni in Katerini until 1956, while Stefanos stayed with relatives to finish his studies in Thessaloniki.  During that time, he worked hard at various jobs, teaching at coaching colleges and night schools while he completed his doctorate.  In 1956, he took mother and grandfather to live with him in Thessaloniki.  He was now Assistant to the Professor of Modern Greek History at the University where he had been a student.  He and mother managed to put aside enough money for a down payment, and in 1957 they bought a small apartment on the sixth floor of a new building in a central part of the city, close to the University.  This was luxury compared to other places the family had lived in after the war.  Grandfather was very proud of Stefanos and thanked him all the time for bringing him to a ‘paradise’, as he called the new place.  He sat out on the big balcony reading the newspaper and looking down from the sixth floor on to a square.  He could even see the sea above the roofs of other lower buildings.  In 1960 Stefanos married a beautiful girl, Evi, whom he had loved for some time and within a year a little girl was born.  Evi had graduated from the same University and was teaching in a private high school.  Grandfather was still alive early in 1961, but unfortunately he died only three months before Xanthoula and I arrived.   Our mother, though still quite thin and dressed in black now mourning grandfather, seemed well in her own health and active as always in the house.  Xanthoula’s arrival with the two boys gave her a new lease on life.  She was happy to have a nice place, by Greek standards, for Xanthoula and the boys to stay.  Mother, Stefanos, his wife and their little baby daughter Glykeria, named after our mother, Xanthoula and the two boys all lived together in the same small apartment in Thessaloniki.  The year went by and, by the time of their return, the boys spoke fluent Greek, especially Michael who had no accent at all and had adopted manners and expressions of a little Greek boy.  He spoke fast, mixed well and played and fought with the neighborhood children.  Xanthoula helped John with his school lessons, and both boys wrote frequently to their father in distant Melbourne.

We all eventually made it back to Melbourne in 1962, including myself from Paris at the end of that year.  I was offered an instructorship in the same French department in which I had been an undergraduate at the University of Melbourne.  Then I was also offered a resident Instructorship at the Women’s College and was given a nice independent apartment.  I bought a little French car and was able to drive and spend my weekends with Bert, Xanthoula and the boys in the new house in Vermont.  There were many happy days there with family and friends who used to come on weekends for an excursion to the ‘country’.  Vermont continued to remain green and unspoiled.  Unfortunately, the place we lived is now unrecognizable. The house was demolished and almost all trees were cut down to make room for four large independent units.  It is unfortunate that the block of land was large enough for that kind of ‘development’.  The road once lined with big eucalyptus trees on both sides and with a large nature strip in the middle is now a four-lane major thoroughfare.  I prefer not to go by there now.  The memories of that place as it was in the past are too dear for me to destroy...

This was the home in which I left Bert and Xanthoula when I married in 1964 and moved to Brisbane with my husband.  It was in that same year that they bought their first car and invited our mother to come to Australia.  Mother stayed for six months, spending four months in Melbourne and a couple of months with me in Brisbane.  She had a great time, even started to wear grey instead of black.  She let Xanthoula dress her up with new clothes and she started to laugh.  What a wonderful feeling that was!  I had grown up with mother always being sad.  This was a good time in our lives, to see mother come alive after all she had been through.

Two years later, in 1966, Xanthoula, who had chosen to stay home to take care of the two old men and then to see her children grow up, was now able to do something outside the house.  Their sons John and Michael had grown up enough and were busy with school. Uncle George was soon to come down and live with them because he was beginning not to able to take care of himself properly, but Xanthoula felt that she could go out to work and still manage the house.  Especially since Bert was always ready to give a hand around the house. She could have taken up her career as a teacher of the Greek language but it would have meant commuting into the city.  She preferred to find something in the area where they lived so as not to waste time and be able to get back early.  A new chocolate factory had just opened up not too far from the house and she presented herself there for a job, any job.  Starting as an ordinary worker on the production floor, she was soon selected to be in charge of a section.  After a while, she was again chosen by her supervisors and placed in charge of the factory’s packaging department where eight people designed the presentation and the packaging of the various products.

She ended up working there for fourteen years and when she decided to retire at the end of 1979, after Bert had retired himself, her colleagues gave her a party.  She was presented with a card which she has kept all these years.  It was signed by 73 people.  Many of them wrote funny farewell lines to her, such as ‘We’ll miss your finesse. The department will be one hell of a mess!’ or ‘I have been a Xan fan ever since the job began’.  ‘Going to miss your laugh and cheek, but good luck to you – you lovely Greek!’  A young man in a wheelchair, Tony, who worked beside her at the beginning, used to call her affectionately ‘Mrs. Wriggles’. ‘A better ‘Wriggles’ I’ve never seen. Xanthoula, you’ve really been a Queen.  In moments of loss I would twist and shout. But you would always be there to help me out.’

She was liked by everyone for her good nature and respected for her good work.  She was loyal to the friends she made there and still meets regularly, once a month, with a small group of women who call themselves ‘The Cadbury Girls’. 

Bert and Xanthoula lived in Vermont for twenty years until Christmas 1979.  Their children, John and Michael, grew up there and it was also the house into which they moved Uncle George after he became too old to take care of himself.  He came down from Upwey to live with them again for another ten years.  Xanthoula was reflecting only recently how there was someone living with them most of their married life. 

Bert had made a good career and a good name in the Commonwealth Police Force.  He had originally joined the Victoria Police after he married Xanthoula but he soon changed Forces to serve in the Commonwealth Police – something equivalent to the American FBI.  His previous experience and his knowledge of Greek may have been the main factors for this move. He was highly regarded and given important assignments throughout his career.  On December 17th 1967, when the Prime Minister of Australia Harold Holt was reported missing, Sergeant Wrigley was one of the first officers to be called to the scene.  Photos in ‘The Sun’ the next day show him walking right behind Mrs. Holt and her two sons. A few days later, when President Lyndon Johnson came to Australia for Mr. Holt’s funeral, Sergeant Wrigley was called to be on the US President’s personal guard.  The Sun’ of Sunday 23rd December 1967 features a large photo of the US Presidential car flown in especially from America, with President Johnson outside holding the hand of Mr. Holt’s grandson, Christopher.  Two steps behind President Johnson, standing in front of the car door, Sergeant Wrigley stands tall in his dark suit and tie, keeping a watchful eye.

He was also called for other special situations, such as student demonstrations.  Pulling away and sometimes arresting young people gathered outside the National Service Registration Office wasn’t one of Sergeant Wrigley’s favorite jobs.  No doubt he felt divided on that issue because he believed in freedom of speech and the right to protest.  So he intervened as ‘gently’ as possible.  On July 2nd 1969, a small number of University students staged an anti-conscription sit-in in Melbourne’s Commonwealth Centre.  Sergeant Wrigley was called in with other colleagues to remove them.  Reporters were there of course, and ‘The Sun’ as well as other newspapers published photos of that incident the next day.  Most of them focused on Sergeant Wrigley, this time in uniform, shown not dragging young people, as another of his colleagues does in another photo, but actually carrying them in his arms!  Under one of the photos we read:

“Most of the demonstrators police evicted from the Commonwealth Centre in Melbourne yesterday were dragged out feet first, but the girl above got more gentle treatment from the Commonwealth police sergeant.  One of the sergeant’s colleagues is using a less considerate method in the picture below”.

These were just a few emergency situations.  There were other more secret missions and the press didn’t know about them.  At least they admit not knowing much about them.  A reporter by the name of John Sorell, in a column called “On the Spot”, published in “The Herald” on October 1st 1971 an article with the title “The ‘quiet men’ hit the headlines: Enter the Feds”.  Most of the article is devoted to Bert.

“I know a Commonwealth policeman.  He is a big, red-faced, chunky fellow who often disappears mysteriously into the night.
“Special assignment for Bert,” says his wife with more than a touch of pride.  “Don’t know anything more about it.”
A couple of days later Bert will re-appear.  He never volunteers and I never ask what’s been going on.
Once he came back with sticking plaster on his chin, and on a second occasion had a bandaged arm.  But Bert, who fought the Germans through Greece is a tough old hand. 
I was ignorant of Bert’s special duties until one day I picked up the morning paper.  There on page one was middle-aged Bert, brilliantly captured on film, flying through the air in a superbly executed rugby tackle.
The tackle was a midnight arrest of a student who had been holing out on Commonwealth property.
So now I knew.  And I suppose Bert was involved the other morning at the Melbourne University fracas.  I hope he wasn’t hit on the scone by a chair.
I dare not ask.  Commonwealth or Federal police are more inclined to secrecy than our State lawmen.  They are generally a non-committal bunch, who rarely gossip even to journalists.  They have an ability to blend and pass unnoticed through crowds. (...)
Nowadays, Commonwealth police make lots of news.  Their activities are expanding, so are their powers, so is their strength.
They are more or less an embryo FBI operating as the central law enforcement agency for the Federal Government.  Among other things, they police the controversial Crimes Act and guard VIPs and rocket ranges.
(...) There are about 900 in the force, including 300 in Victoria (...)
Commonwealth policemen have had some bitter and bloody clashes with students in recent memory, as they battle the widespread resentment against the National Service Act.
They would much prefer to just guard rocket ranges.  I do know that from Bert.

What we know for sure is that, for the most part, Bert’s official assignment was the Greek immigrants, whether legal or illegal.  He was probably one of the few if not the only Australian officer who could speak Greek.  The Greek community loved him as he always tried to help within the law even those who ‘jumped ship’.  Those days, it was the most common way of getting into the country illegally but quickly.  Periodically and at specified times the government would grant amnesty to illegal immigrants.  Sergeant Wrigley would drop in to cafes, restaurants, fish and chip shops, green-grocer shops run by Greeks, and let them know that if he found anyone who was illegally in the country he would have to arrest them and deport them.  As a ‘by the way’ he would at the same time let it be known that there was an amnesty coming up at a particular date, and for those who wanted to stay in Australia to ‘lie low’ until that time so that he couldn’t find them.   Then they could go to a particular office in the Immigration department, present themselves and apply to become legal immigrants.  I am guessing now, but I don’t think I am wrong, that he found a way to repay the Greek people for their help and protection they gave him, risking their lives, when he was in Greece.

Perhaps partly because of his natural modesty and partly because of his share of ‘secret’ service to his country and the community, Bert was a private and low-key individual.  He didn’t talk about his adventurous past or his assignments.  But one always felt in his presence that there was more to him than what you saw. At the same time, he had a great sense of humor, enjoyed friends, even if they just ‘dropped in’ unannounced, a good Greek custom which he encouraged.   He enjoyed a good meal -- although he was easy to please and liked to cook himself when he was home -- and a nice bottle of wine.  He was very much liked by his colleagues and appreciated for his kindness and concern, but also for his dedication and, when needed, his toughness on the job.  In the Force, he was known for his team spirit and camaraderie.  When the time came to retire from the Commonwealth Police, 25 years after he had joined, he was given a warm farewell party and presented with a gigantic card signed by seventy-one people – a respectable number, although Xanthoula beat him by two more signatures!  It reads:

“We all worked so well together just like one big machine... But now you’re leaving... and we’ll have to get another nut!”

In all the years I lived with my sister Xanthoula and Bert, and in all the later years we spent time together either in Greece or when I was visiting them in Australia, I saw a couple who loved and respected each other deeply.   My sister was never ‘Xanthoula’, it was always ‘love’ -- or another loving but funny way he had of addressing her, which stays in the family and which Xanthoula probably doesn’t want me to mention here!  ‘Bert’ was also rare on Xanthoula’s lips, unless she was referring to him.  I was never witness to any friction between them, and when I asked Xanthoula if she was ever angry with him, she could only remember the occasion when he went ahead and sold a caravan they had without discussing it with her.  To his defense, she says that he did it on the spot where the caravan was located, one day when he went there to cut the grass around it and he was made an offer there and then.  Cell phones didn’t exist at that time, and he had grown a little weary of taking care of the land around it.  His feet and leg injuries were causing him more pain with age, and for some years even before he retired he had to wear specially made boots with supports.  It was becoming increasingly difficult for him to walk normally.

Bert died in 1995, seven years later than his friend Bruce, at the age of 75.  It wasn’t a bad age to reach for someone who went through the hardships of war, fighting the Germans in a foreign land, and then the Japanese in another foreign land.

He thought deeply into the meaning of life and death and was the most comforting person for me when our brother Stefanos died in 1992.  That is when I took time off from teaching in America and came to Melbourne to visit the family for three months.  It was the time I did the taped interview with him.  He maintained a high sense of moral integrity, of right and wrong.  He was also generous, kind-hearted and compassionate.  He read a lot and possessed, in my mind, a kind of other-worldly wisdom. That is how I will always remember Bert.

I am indeed very fortunate to still have my sister Xanthoula alive and well, this Christmas of December 2009.  She is 83 years old, the mother of two good sons and the grandmother of four good-looking grandsons.  She is the same beautiful, thoughtful, generous, forgiving, and brave person she was in her youth.  She is still active and very creative around the house and beyond.  Her present home, my apartment in America, my seaside place in Greece, and many homes of relatives and friends both in Australia and in Greece are decorated with her art works.  As her greatest fan, I have the greatest number of all: oil paintings, painted tiles, china plates with the finest flowers I have ever seen, crochet pieces.  She has hand-knitted countless pullovers and countless fancy scarves and has given them all as gifts.  I especially have been favored throughout my life.  She used to make my clothes through all stages of my youth, and I remember in my student days that she would buy a piece of fabric one day, and in less than forty-eight hours the dress would be ready for me to wear!  Now she buys clothes for me.  Every time I come to visit her I find some new clothes waiting for me in her closet and in the drawers assigned to me.  I have received much thought and care from her throughout my life – from the time she was dressing me up and taking me out for a stroll as a baby, showing me off to her friends, through to today.  I am 73 years old, but she still ‘dresses me up’ and is still ‘showing me off’ to her friends!  Her home is like a haven for me and I like to come and stay here as long as I can.  But we also travel together.  Over the last fifteen years, since Bert died, she has regularly joined me in Greece to visit our elder sister and other relatives and friends.  She has been a great travelling companion and I am very fortunate indeed that she stood by me while I have been writing this story.  Without her assistance and her warm and loving presence, I would not have been able to do it...


This story was written by Valentini Papadopoulou, sister of Xanthoula Wrigley, Christmas 2009 when she visited Xanthoula in Melbourne, Australia.

It is disappointing that Valentini never saw the end result of her efforts, but I am sure Xanthoula will be pleased to see this Blog completed and available for all who wish to read it.

If you have any comments or questions, please contact the author, Joy Olney via email - joyolney@gmail.com