Friday, March 6, 2020

3. Bert Enlists


http://xanthoulabertwrigley.blogspot.com

Bert Enlists.


With that background in mind, I will now pick up Bert’s story, after about eighteen years from the time the family settled in the Footscray area.  In the “Wrigley Family” box again, I found a worn and yellow piece of a Melbourne newspaper, “The Herald”.  It is dated Friday June 7, 1940 and features a photo and a short article entitled “A.I.F. Recruits March Today”.
“Heavy rain did not damp the spirits of these men who marched from Footscray drill hall to the station and entrained for Caulfield today”.

Another small yellow piece of a different newspaper (probably a local one from Footscray) with a clearer photo says:

“Headed by Hyde Street State School Band, 60 A.I.F. recruits from Footscray marched from the City of Footscray drill hall yesterday to entrain for Caulfield camp”.

On the first row, a tall and thin young man by the name of Herbert Wrigley, is seen with a slight smile on his face.

Less than a year later, probably around April 1941, another small and yellow piece of the local newspaper features this announcement:

“Pte. H. Wrigley sailed on September 15th and is attached to headquarters.  In a letter to his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Tom Wrigley, he stated that he had fractured an ankle and was in hospital probably in Greece.  The ambulance which took him from a clearing station to hospital was a gift to AIF by Footscray citizens.  He has a younger brother in the RANR.  His father fought in the South African and 1914-1918 wars, and his eldest brother was in the last war”.

Evidently, with a father who had fought both in South Africa and in WWI, and a brother who also fought in WW1, being in the army and fighting wars were familiar things for the Wrigley boys. When WWII broke out, both the younger boys, Bert and Eric enlisted, while the elder brother George went as a Sergeant into the Reserve.  It is known in the family that the younger brother, Eric, lied about his age and forged his father’s signature in order to enlist in the navy.  He was neither the first nor the last Australian boy to do that, as those under 18 years were not officially accepted.  Many young Australians saw enlisting in the army or the navy as an opportunity to get out of farming or a small town where there was no excitement and no promise of a good job.  For others it was an opportunity to see the world or to have a piece of the action in a war that they sensed was having an impact on the whole civilized world.  No doubt in some cases all of the above applied.

Soon after the first announcement, the same newspaper published another notice:

PRISONER OF WAR
Pte. H. Wrigley. 
Mr. and Mrs. T. Wrigley, Banool avenue, have been advised that their son, Herbert, is a prisoner.  He is a former pupil of Francis Street and Footscray Technical schools and worked at Mason & Cox, Yarraville.  He had been previously injured and was in hospital in Greece.  Eric, a brother, is a naval reservist who expects to go overseas at any moment.  The Red Cross is endeavoring to locate Pte. Wrigley, upon which the family will be allowed to send one letter (unsealed) monthly and a parcel of clothing every three months.

No date is recorded for this announcement, but it has to be some time after April 1941, when Corporal H. Wrigley (he had received a promotion a few months after he left) was captured in Greece.  He was sent there in March 1941 with his Commando Squadron to fight, but was wounded in the very first battle and captured shortly after the falling of Greece to the Germans in the month of April.

Another small yellow piece of newspaper makes a similar announcement:

FOOTSCRAY MAN NOW PRISONER

The parents of Pte. Herbert Wrigley, 21, of Banool Avenue, Yarraville, who was reported missing, have been advised that he is a prisoner of war.  In a letter to his father, Pte. Wrigley said his ankle was fractured in an accident and when being taken from a casualty clearing station, he discovered that the ambulance was given by citizens of Footscray.  Pte. Herbert Wrigley, first reported missing and now reported prisoner of war, is 21.

That is all his family knew, apart from what he had written in his early letters from Palestine and Egypt before he was sent to Greece. 

From his letters, we know that after he was sent to serve overseas, he was first in Palestine, then in Egypt and Libya, mostly in a reserved occupation in what was called “Employment Platoon”.  Between mid-October 1940 and February 1941 we have a total of eight letters to his elder sister Emily, written in his distinctive handwriting and style. They reveal a lot about young Bert, his interests, his sense of humor, his feelings and his compassionate nature.  Having read them, I now feel I know him a little better than before.  So I will let him speak directly by quoting parts of some of them.

Here is part of his very first letter dated 16th October 1940:

Dear Em and Tom,
Just a line to let you know I received your very welcome letter.  I was rather surprised to get it, but very pleased.  It reached Palestine before I did, but unless you send letters air mail I won’t get them for months.  I’m feeling pretty fine just at present and hope you are the same.  I hope to go on leave to Jerusalem or Tel Aviv soon, then I may apply for a transfer to the infantry with my pals, the life in this camp is too quiet, a bloke would go off his nut in a few months.  Some of the old hands seem that way now.  We have pictures and there is a wet canteen for those who drink.  I would like to go to Egypt and visit Cairo and the old Temples and tombs in Luxor so I’ll have to wait for my chance while things are quiet.  (...) There were only two other chaps who received letters the same time as I did, the rest looked so disappointed I felt sorry for them. 
Well, until later when I may have fresh news.  I’ll close down.
                                                                        Your Loving Brother 
Bert


These few lines tell about the young man’s impatience with waiting around in a quiet camp, making it clear that he had joined the army for some action.  This will be a constant thought in all the subsequent letters, until he actually succeeds in joining the AIF and begins his war experience around February 1941 by participating in the advance from Egypt to Benghazi. 

The other theme that runs through all these letters is his desire to see the world.  What is remarkable is that here is a young Australian, just past his teens, from a working class family, who grew up in working class neighborhoods such as Yarraville and Footscray (I remember them well, I lived there myself for four years in the mid-fifties), but who knew about and couldn’t wait to visit Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, and more surprisingly the temples and tombs in Luxor, Egypt.  I wonder how many young people of that age in any country, with his background and education, even today in the age of internet and easy access to information, would actually know or care about Luxor, let alone risk their life to join the army and wait eagerly for the opportunity to go and visit those monuments.  My guess is that the number of such young people would be rather small.

For now, let’s go back to Palestine and listen to Bert a little more in his second letter, dated 4th November 1940.

VX 24068.  Pte. H. Wrigley. 
Employment Platoon.

Dear Em.

Just a line in answer to your welcome letter of 21/10/40.  Letters are few and far between amongst the boys, so anyone who gets a letter is considered very lucky.  I hope this finds you as well as it leaves me.  I feel pretty full of fight just now, so I and a pal have applied for transfer to the 2/11th Infantry Battalion. So we might get to Egypt.  The 2/11th are W.A.s [West Australians] and bonzer chaps too, very hospitable; from what I’m told they are nearly all miners from Kalgoolie.  I went on leave to Jerusalem last week end (...).  We saw the Church of the Holy Sepulchre with all the various Biblical scenes and the Tomb of Christ and the stone which was rolled away from the door.  We visited the mosque of Omar and the ruins of Jericho and the Dead Sea.  It’s a beautiful trip down along the road through the mountains down to Jordan River. Now that Syria has declared war I shouldn’t be surprised if the enemy try to advance along the Jordan Valley (...).
However we’ll take’em any time they care to come, things are that quiet here I feel like belting the ears of some coot just to ease my feelings.  I met a lot of Pommies in Jerusalem too.  I asked them about England and they told me it wouldn’t be long before English troops would be back in France again.  One of them had been at Dunkirk and he said it was “B—awful” (...).  But he won’t be sorry to even up the score.  (...)  I visited Gaza War Cemetery, the Arabs there keep it in excellent condition, there are lots of English lads lying there.  I have sent you a cushion cover, I hope you like it.  Thanks a lot for the canteen order. 

You might tell Mum that sea mail is very slow, I only received her letter 23/9/40 yesterday, practically 5 weeks to get to me.  Well that is all for the present, so I will close
                                                                                                Yours ever
                                                                                                Bert 
                                                                                                 xx


The same eagerness to be involved in fighting the war is expressed here, and along with it the same interest and excitement about visiting historical places.   Those of us who lived with Bert, as well as his close friends, knew well his fascination with history, an interest that must have started early, which explains how he knew about the temples and tombs in Luxor, Egypt.  After he returned to Australia, and throughout his life until the very end, he would visit the local library from where he would bring home books on philosophy, cosmology, the occult, and more especially history books and novels.  He also bought books which are still on the book shelves in his home.  He read all his life, sometimes the same book more than once if he really liked it.

Another letter gives amusing details about daily life in the camp, the food, the camaraderie with the other soldiers, the weather: “We had some rain you wouldn’t believe possible for two days.  I thought it would never stop.  I did my washing and got it dry though between showers.  What with being his own washerwoman and peeling vegetables in the cookhouse a man becomes very domesticated these days!”    He also mentions that finally he had an interview for his transfer to an infantry battalion.  But what stands out in this letter is when he asks his sister for a favor:

I wonder if you would do me a very special favour.  We have a chap in our crowd called Colin Cations and he hasn’t had a letter or word from his sister or friends since he’s been in the country.  He always looks rather wistful when we get a letter and he doesn’t so if you would care to write to him his address is

            VX 15869
            Pte. C.E. Cations
            Employment. Plat.
            Corps HQ.
            AIF Abroad.

Further down, he thinks of his younger brother Eric (“Dig”, who had also enlisted). “How is my little brother anyhow.  I’ve been wondering about him, has he gone away yet.  I think I’d like to bring him over here to the East after the war and show him round.” 
He closes with a joking remark to his sister: “I don’t think you’d care for sheiks, they make their wives do all the work.”

The next letter bears no date, but from the content we can tell that it was written and sent again from Palestine some time after Christmas 1940.

I received your welcome letter of 12/12/40 and thanks for writing to Colin Cations. (...)    Well I wish they would hurry up if they intend to accept my application for transfer.  I should never have come to Corps HQ in the first place, however being pushed into it, I had no idea what it was like. Besides the infantry need me more than they do here.  (...)  I think I’ve seen enough of this part of Palestine to last me for a lifetime, I’d like to seek fresh fields and pastures now as soon as possible.  (...) They have a Roman baths 2000 years old here.  I had a Turkish bath the other night in there.  It cost about 2/- with massage and all (...).  I had some wonderful feeds at Christmas.  We had eats laid on in our tent, I could hardly cope with the supply.  (...)  I wonder what sort of Christmas they had up the front.  The Comforts Fund chap told me he sent Xmas parcels to the front so the boys could have Xmas dinner while their rifles were cooling.  By the way I told Dig I’d send him an Arab knife, but now I’m told that weapons cannot be sent through the post so I’ll bring it home when I come home. (...) 

I saw a Bedouin in from the desert the other day, the first of them I’ve seen.  He stood out on his own amongst the city Arabs.  He had a sword about a yard long that I think I could have used for a razor.  Some of the local celebrities started out on the pilgrimage to Mecca.  They all stand together to be blessed by the priest or Imam I think they call him here, before they start.  Another novelty here I saw was when a government official died.  The priest got up on the minaret and howled the news to the town’s people, you could hear it all over the town.  Well cheerio for the present.
                                                                                    Your loving brother,
                                                                                                Bert
                                                                                               

As in all previous letters, the same elements stand out: his eagerness to get into action, his thinking of others -- whether soldiers fighting in the front on Christmas Day or keeping his promise to his younger brother to send him an Arab knife --, and his interest in what he experiences in other cultures: Roman baths and Mecca pilgrims, how a death is announced in the Islamic world, a quick portrait of a Bedouin and his deadly sword. 

Like the letter quoted above, the next letter has no date, but it is clear that he is still waiting for his transfer so it was probably written sometime in January 1941.

Dear Em and Tom,

I got your letter today.  I had letters from all the family the other day so you can bet I have been busy writing.  (...)  We were glad here when the British went into action.  I wish I was there right now, however I’m waiting to be sent for by the infantry now.  (...)  I haven’t done any more sightseeing yet, but if I get with the infantry battalion I’m transferring to, I’ll go to Egypt, so the sooner the better.  I saw an Arab funeral on Sunday, they carried the Arab to the cemetery in a sort of stretcher, all the women walking by the litter howling.  His wife had put ashes on her face and cried all the way to the bone orchard.  All the village was there.  (...) 

Well I don’t think I have anything more to write about, if I am moved to the infantry, I’ll let you know, so I’ll close.
                                               
The next letter dated 2nd February 1941 is mailed from Egypt.  The first part of the letter shows again his impatience to be actively involved in actually fighting the war and his frustration at not being able to do so.

Dear Em,

I hope you won’t mind my failing to answer your previous letters but the truth is I got them at a time when it was impossible to answer them.  You will see by the stamps on the letter that I’m in Egypt but I don’t know for how long.  I was in the advance party.  It wasn’t such a hot job either.  The second day we were here it started to blow a dust storm and I was working out in it.  We were filled up to the back teeth with dust, in our ears and nose and we couldn’t comb our hair for dust.  Still we haven’t had another one like it yet so I don’t mind this place so much now.  I’ve given up hope of ever getting out of Corps HQ now, apparently all the chaps in Corps who want to go and fight are not allowed to go and all the infantry chaps who would like to get jobs in Corps are not in the race either.  I wouldn’t mind if I was doing anti-aircraft work, at least I stand a chance of getting a few shots in.  This place is as tame as Palestine, if something doesn’t happen soon I’ll probably die of boredom.........

Having let off steam about that, he moves on to his next favorite subject, his experience of the foreign cultures he encounters, his interest in seeing new places and learning about the people who live there.  It looks as though he never made it to Luxor, but at least he managed to visit Alexandria.

I don’t know whether I’m supposed to tell you this or not but I and my pals went on leave to Alexandria.  It’s a more lively place than Jerusalem or Tel Aviv.  There’s everything anyone could want in the way of entertainments.  We had a hot shower at the YMCA club and after Tuesday’s dust got washed off me I began to feel more like a human being.  The four of us went and had a lovely feed of steak, eggs and chips twice, and it was OK.  There are a lot of Greeks in Alex, quite a large percentage of the population is Greek and French so there were some very lovely women in the shops etc, extremely polite too. That’s rather strange too, not many women in Palestine bothered even to talk to us.  (...) Still give me Alex any time.  I could have bought some good souvenirs but I didn’t want to risk having them on my hands if we should have moved suddenly. You can never tell now, here today and gone tomorrow (...).
            Well I say cheerio now until later.
                                                                        Your loving brother Bert

Bert’s second to last letter is dated 20th February 1941. He explains that he is now in Libya, and it sounds as though he is finally much closer to the action he so much wanted.

Dear Em and Tom,

I hope you’ll excuse the pencil but I can’t get any ink because we haven’t got a canteen here.  You probably know I’m in Libya, but it’s better than Egypt for scenery etc.  There are a lot of trees and green fields and shrubs that in parts remind me of Blackburn and Eltham.  I don’t know how long we’ll be here but I hope it’s not too long.  There’s nowhere we can go on leave, the nearest city is bombed nearly every night so it wouldn’t be much fun having to spend leave dodging bombs.  Anyway it’s out of bounds to us.  The mail is very irregular so it will be some time before you get this as the Australian Mail plane goes from Egypt and the mail transport down there is very uncertain.  We had rather a dreary sort of a trip up here, we couldn’t wash and after being covered with dust in the back of the trucks we felt pretty miserable.  Also I think I’ve seen enough bully beef and biscuits for a while anyway.  It started to rain when we stopped at one place and all the dust on our clothes went into mud.  We saw a pile of Italian planes that had been shot down, you’ve no idea the size of some of their bombers.  Some of our own are beauts!

At present we are living in a Dago barracks, it’s not a bad place but the trouble is water or rather the lack of it.  We have to be very careful so it is only turned on periodically.  There is a small Arab village not far from us where we go to buy eggs from the Arabs.  They haven’t woken up to the fact that when a country is conquered the currency is sometimes affected and they ask 1 lira for an egg.  There is about 10 lira to 1 and a half pennies, so when we offer them 1 piastra Egyptian for an egg (about 3d) they think we’re trying to rob them.  So one chap bought about 10/- worth of liras for 2/- and then the Arabs talked business so we had a good feed of boiled eggs.  I tried some Italian wine, it’s not bad stuff, if you can get the good wine it’s very good for you, but some is just plonk.  The Italian buildings are picturesque places.  One city we were in, we visited a house that was typical of any villa you would see in Monte Carlo, it was a pity it had a bomb dropped on it.  There was a lovely hotel in the same city that they are using now for Italian prisoners before they are drafted to the rear.  The prisoners are more to be pitied, they look so unhappy and miserable we passed a lot of them who seemed very glad to be out of the war.  I had an Italian officer’s cap, but I couldn’t carry it and had to leave it behind.  We heard yesterday that our troops had landed in Singapore, but the news is never given in detail and I haven’t had a letter or paper since I left Egypt. 
Well Em, I think that is all for the present so I’ll say cheerio till later.
                                                                                                                                                                                                Your loving brother
                                                            Bert

P.S. Am putting a Libyan stamp on the letter although it has nothing to do with the post, it’s just for any collector you might know.

This particular letter is partly devoted to describing the new surroundings, the vegetation of the countryside, the people and customs in Libya, but he is also giving an idea of what it is like to be closer to the action:  the long truck rides in the dust, the lack of water in the former Italian barracks, the army food, the nightly bomb raids over the closest city, the sight of the Italian bombers that had been shot down, the Italian prisoners of war looking miserable and his feelings of pity towards them.  It is a letter that covers many aspects of that experience, which he takes the time to share with his family, ending with the temptation of holding on to an Italian officer’s cap or the gesture of putting a Libyan stamp on the letter, “just for any collector” that his sister might know.  

Bert’s last letter to his sister has no date, and it isn’t clear whether it was sent from Libya or from Egypt.  But we see that he has finally been successful in his persistence to go into active duty.  The top of the letter shows his ID number as in all his letters, VX 24068, then it reads “Cpl. H. Wrigley, 2/3 Commando Sqn. AIF”.

Interestingly enough, the letter itself doesn’t say anything about either his promotion or his forthcoming move, as one would expect, probably because of a sense of modesty.  Bert was throughout his life very low key about his achievements.   He may also not have mentioned it because he didn’t want his family to worry about the fact that his life would now be in immediate danger.  The letter is still revealing in its own way.  It deals with family and friends’ news and concerns -- about a friend who isn’t very strong to undergo some harsh training he is going through, about his younger brother “Dig” who is in hospital with a “strain” of something in his stomach, and who perhaps should be discharged, about his older brother George, the one who had been gassed in WWI, who “ought to retire now and enjoy himself”, and about his mother to whom he had sent 20 pounds for a Mother’s Day gift but who said “she didn’t need anything at present”.  This last letter shows a young man fully involved in the life of his family, even at a critical moment in his own.  He ends the letter mentioning the possibility of a leave, perhaps in July, probably to make his family feel better.  He must have known that the way the war was going, and especially now that he was going to be on active duty, he wasn’t likely to go back to Australia with a leave that soon.



Go to 4. "Bert in Greece" blog.